- Not delegating because there is no one to delegate to. (doesn’t need to be a full time person – even a part time admin assistant or VA can help to free up your time.)
- Not delegating because you feel your team won’t do it correctly. (happy to coach you on how to delegate correct. 😊)
- Not delegating because you feel your team already have too much to do or you don’t like to ask. (by not delegating you can sometimes send the message that you don’t trust your team. Your job is to empower them!)
- Not delegating because you are a control freak… 😊 (see point 2 above!)
- Not delegating because it ‘only takes 5 minutes’ and it’s ‘easier to do it yourself’. (see points 2 and 4!)
- Not delegating because you don’t know how. (happy to help with that too!)
Without fail, the most successful people I’ve worked with understand the mantra of “only do what only I can do.” In other words, as a leader, your job is drive the business or organisation. To work on the strategy. To develop your team. To increase your sales and profits.
Not to fiddle around with spreadsheets. Or do general admin tasks. It’s just not the best use of your time. Leave those tasks to the people who excel at it.
If you need some motivation to do this, work out your hourly rate and compare that with the hourly rate of an admin assistant. Assuming your hourly rate is higher, then delegate the ‘stuff’ and use that time to focus what’s important. That’s your job. I’ve done this exercise with many clients and the difference ranges from £25-£250 per hour!
Good motivation to get some admin support I think!
#leadership #management #coaching #delegation #success #businessadvice
Business & management coach, mentor, trainer, author, speaker, social entrepreneur, (and chief pot and bottle washer!)